This recipe tells you how to knead your own dough for fatcake (vetkoek) from scratch if you don’t wat to buy from your local grocer or bakery.
The Best Vetkoek Recipe
- 1 kg flour
- 10 ml dry yeast
- 10 ml salt
- 30 ml sugar
- 30 ml cooking oil
- 750 ml lukewarm water
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Add yeast and sugar.
- Add oil and some lukewarm water.
- Mix to a soft, sticky dough. Add more water if needed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 5 - 10 minutes or until dough is elastic and smooth.
- Place in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a cloth. Leave in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until it has raised to double its size.
- Knock down dough and knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Divide into 20 pieces and roll into balls.
- Place on a greased tray. Leave in a warm place for about 15 minutes until the balls are well risen.
- Heat a litre of oil and deep-fry the balls of dough until brown on one side. Flip and remove from oil once browned on the other side.
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe!
Be sure to explore the rest of our recipes.
For international recipes, check out RecipesAllDay.com.