Milk tart is as South African as can be – enjoyed on many occasions by most South Africans! Milk tart is so popular you will find it at all home industry shops and church fetes. Not all recipes are equally tasty, though. This is a recipe for the easiest, most delicious no-bake milk tart. You may use a pre-baked tart shell for this milk tart or any biscuits like digestive biscuits, Marie or Tennis for an unbaked crust.
South African Milk Tart (melktert)
- 1 liter milk
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 50 grams butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cinnamon for sprinkling
- Heat 800 ml milk in a pot.
- Add salt, sugar and butter.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Mix 200 ml milk into the flour to form a paste.
- Just before the milk reaches boiling point, add the whisked eggs and stir continuously.
- Add the flour paste while stirring continuously to prevent it from forming lumps.
- Stir until it thickens to a smooth paste. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour mix into a flat dish lined with Tennis biscuits or crumbs or into a pre-cooked tart shell.
- Sprinkle generously with cinnamon.
- Allow to cool down before serving.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe!
Be sure to explore the rest of our recipes.
For international recipes, check out RecipesAllDay.com.