You will love this exciting, rich cake made with meringues topped with caramel, cream, and nuts! You can make as many meringue layers as you desire to have an even bigger, more luxurious looking cake. Freeze your egg yolks to use later in recipes like Pasteis de Nata or Creme Brulee. You may replace the salt, baking powder, and castor sugar with two packets of Ina Paarman’s Meringue Mix.
Lovely Caramel Meringue Cake
- 6 egg whites freeze yolks for other recipes
- 3 tbsp castor sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ can caramel
- ½ cup pecan nuts chopped
- 500 ml fresh cream
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Line 3 22cm round cake pans with baking paper.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites until they become stiff.
- Add salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Beat until they form stiff peaks.
- Divide the mix evenly among the 3 pans. Smooth out the tops.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 140°C, then lower temperature to 120°C.
- Bake for another 1 hour. Switch oven off and leave meringues in to dry out.
- Whip cream until stiff.
- Add ¾ of the caramel to the cream and beat to a thick mass.
- Put one meringue on a plate, flat side down.
- Spread some of the caramel cream mix generously over the meringue.
- Spread over some nuts.
- Place second meringue on top of that and repeat, ending with nuts over the last layer.
- Cool overnight.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe!
Be sure to explore the rest of our recipes.
For international recipes, check out RecipesAllDay.com.