This is a recipe for a hearty beef stew to enjoy as a main course served on a bed of rice, wheat, mash or samp. You may replace the stewing beef with beef shin, short rib or blade steak. You may also buy a mix of vegetables or replace the suggested vegetables with the ones you prefer to use. As the stew contains many vegetables you need not worry about preparing any separate side dishes. ‘Comfort food’ at its best!
Beef Stew (Beesvleisbredie)
- 1 kg stewing beef
- 1 tsp salt more if needed
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 15 ml cooking oil
- 50 grams tomato paste
- 1 packet Royco Tomato Bredie or Knorr 2-in-1 Beef Bredie (dry powder)
- 50 ml Jimmy's sauce
- 3 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 large potato cut into chunks
- 3 patty pans quartered
- 5 green beans chopped in 2cm lengths
- 5 cauliflower florets
- 5 broccoli pieces
- 1 carrot sliced
- 500 ml water
- Fry the chopped onions and meat in the oil until brown.
- Add 300ml water, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 80 minutes on medium heat.
- Add potatoes and carrots. More water if needed.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables.
- Use the rest of the water to mix the Bredie spice pack and add.
- Add the tomato paste and Jimmy's sauce.
- Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- After frying the meat and onions, transfer to a slow cooker, add all the ingredients and cook for 6-8 hours.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe!
Be sure to explore the rest of our recipes.
For international recipes, check out RecipesAllDay.com.